Sunday, May 5, 2013

Melting Pot, Tossed Salad, Chunky Stew.... call it what you like, the US is a hot cultural mess!!

But I really wouldn't have life any other way!  :)  I like constantly thinking out of the box and being exposed to worldviews and perspectives different from my own!


For instance, this month we had an Easter party for my English class that I teach in Los Angeles.  Most of my students are Armenian, but most had lived their entire lives in Iran. Armenians are typically Orthodox Christians and it is common at their parties (even religious celebrations) for alcohol to be involved.  I told my English students to invite their families.  Our party was a blast! We had tons of food and dancing (even the cupid shuffle!) but to some of my students' husbands' dismay, there was no alcohol.



One gentleman had brought beer and whiskey, but we told them we probably shouldn't drink it in the church where I hold my classes. They seemed disappointed, but took the drinks back to their cars.  After the party, when we were cleaning up, many of the students took the left over food to my car for me to take home.  (I had lunch for weeks off of that food!) One of my newer students who barely speaks English motioned for me to follow him to his car. When we got there, he pulled out a six pack of beer from Armenia.  I smiled and  thanked him, but said, "Oh no no no! I can't, but thank you!"  He insisted and took the beer to my car and put it inside. There was nothing else I could do but take it home!  I remembered in college, one of my roommates would make bread using beer instead of yeast, and beer battered chicken is also very delicious!

Another thing I had to do this month was say goodbye to my very dear friend.  She was one of the first people I met when I came to California at the refugee center where I now teach English. She has been engaged to her fiance since before her family moved to America.  She has been awaiting her green card so that she can go back to Iraq and get married.  I was so sad to see her go, even though I knew this time was coming.  After knowing her a year and half, I feel as though she is my sister in some ways. I am so thankful for the time we spent and praying always that she is happy in her marriage and that God blesses them both! :)
                                                                   She's the one in the middle!

Not long after that we had an event at our apartment complex for the families!  A usual it was mostly the kids that showed up.  (How I love those kids!)  I'll miss them, as this month we are moving to a new apartment in Anaheim.                                      
                                            
                                                         Make your own garden!!
Karaoke Night!!
This month I also got to go to Mexico!!  We went with our church group to work with partnering church.  Our team hosted a medical clinic, food distribution, crafts and music for the kids, plus we made lunch for everyone.  There were probably about 340 children plus some of their families.  I had a great day, but was so overwhelmed.  I'm eager to go again!
                                          
                                                              Crossing the border!

So like I said, the US is a hot cultural mess, but we have the opportunity living here this diverse place to have experiences that shape us and make us more informed people.  We get to see God's beauty, not just in the created world, but in His created people!  So if you ever have a day where you feel surrounded by people not like you or that are speaking in a language or acting in a way that you don't understand, just take that opportunity to give thanks to God for His creation, and then make an effort to learn something new! I promise you'll be glad you did!